While flipping through my textbook one day look for inspiration on something to write about I came across and interesting article in Chapter 14 named "Turning Goy's into Girls". Immediately this brings to your attention, what the heck is a goy? Michelle Cottle does an excellent job of putting the ever so changing trends of the 21st century in plain view. Michelle writes, "The more men obsess about growing old or unattractive, the more marketers will exploit and expand that fear; the more marketers bombard men with messages about the need to be beautiful, the more they will obsess". This small section sums everything up, but I am still not convinced completely. Yes, I have caught myself being easily convinced with fancy infomercials that only show one side of the story. But couldn't all these magazines and ploys be a good thing for someone? As being a citizen of the U.S. we have the ability to think freely and make our own decisions, whether it be to go out and buy something to make you feel better about yourself. I think it really gives someone the hope they need to make better lifestyle choices and continue to better themselves. It really provides a way for people set goals for what they want and to achieve them.
Although that is my side on this there are other points too. magazines and articles often do exploit people and cause them to get a little out of hand. Buying or changing one thing in your diet or appearance is not something to be concerned about, but when people look into it too much and take it a little out of hand is when there is a problem. Although they do sometimes provide somewhat of a way to trick people I think that some of the responsibility can be put on the readers for not looking into something before acting upon it.
No comments:
Post a Comment